Reducing the file size of a picture is of great use, especially when you are dealing with websites or filling out an online form. More often than not, people face problems sharing pictures online because of the large size, often reaching more than 10MB, thanks to the high-quality devices that we all own at present.
There’s a great solution for this that allows you to compress the file size of an image on the go. There are countless websites, apps, and in-built features in several devices that make it easier for people to decrease the size.
Before going further, it is important to know what actually adds to the size of an image. Mostly, it is the image resolution, the colors in the image, and the metadata of the image.
Here are a few ways that you can adapt to compress or reduce your image size.
Reduce the image resolution to compress the picture
- Use paint
This is the old-school method to compress any image of your choice without using any fancy websites. Before the internet was widely popular, people used OG paint to reduce their image size. If you use windows, you can still use it.
How to do it?
- Open the folder location of the picture you want to resize.
- Click right on the image and choose the open with option and then select paint.
- When it opens, select the ‘resize’ option on the top right. After that, choose to resize and skew option and select ‘pixels’ from the section.
- Just select the resolution according to your requirement. After this is done, you can select ‘save as’ and download it in the desired format.
- Use Adobe Photoshop
Photoshop can be a bit daunting for some people but if you can get the hang of it, it is quite easy to reduce the size of an image. Just open Adobe Photoshop and go to the ‘file’ option. After that select ‘open’ and choose the ‘save for web’ option.
Here’s a tutorial on how you can do it.
- Remove the image metadata
Another way you can reduce the file size of an image is by rectifying its metadata. Metadata is the written information about the image which is not necessary sometimes. Although this method won’t change the size of the image significantly, it will still let you keep the unnecessary file load at bay.
Here’s how you can remove the image metadata from any image on your computer.
Compress the image with online tools and websites
- Compress images with TinyPNG
TinyPNG is a free online tool that lets you compress your images on the go. All you need to do is visit TinyPNG and upload the picture you want to compress. Within seconds, it will do the work for you. You are free to compress images individually or in a group at once.
The website supports pictures of most formats including JPJ, PNG, and more.
How to use it?
- Visit the website
- Upload the picture. You can upload 20 pictures at max.
- Click on the Compress button and wait for it.
- You can download the compressed image. In the case of bulk pictures, you can download the ZIP folder.
- Reduce the image file size with iloveimg
Iloveimg is another popular website that allows free image reduction in seconds. This is a safer option for people who are concerned about data safety. Here, you can compress images in formats like PNG, JPG, SVG, and GIF.
How to use it?
- Just visit the iloveimg website.
- Upload or drag and drop the image you want to compress and wait.
- Download the image on your laptop or phone and it is ready to use.
- Compress the picture size with Compress2go
Compress2go is an all-around solution for your file compression. It allows you to compress photos, videos, audio, and other documents online for free. You can get a paid membership with better features but if you just want to reduce your image resolution, the free version is good enough.
How to use it?
- Visit the Compress2go website.
- Select or upload the picture you want to compress.
- Download the image or share it directly via email or WhatsApp.
- Other online tools for compressing images
Apart from the above-mentioned websites, you can also use a number of other websites that offer free as well as paid options to reduce the file size of your image.
Compress images on your phones with image compressor apps
If none of the above-mentioned methods ring a bell for you, you can try some mobile apps that will do the task for you. They are easier to use and better when you don’t have a computer. Here are some of the best apps you can use to compress your image.
1. How do I reduce the MB size of a photo?
It is very easy to compress pictures on a laptop or a phone. All you need to do is learn how to use the photo app or any other app that lets you compress pictures. You can also do it via an app. Just download it and you are ready to go.
2. How do I reduce the file size of an image?
Reducing the size of an image can be done by increasing the extent of compression. Just click on the ‘save as’ or ‘export as’ and save it in the form of .jpg, .png, or .gif.
3. How do I reduce the file size of a JPEG photo?
If you are using the phone, .jpeg image resizing is quite easy. You can use a photo and picture resizer. This lets you resize JPEG images without compromising on quality.
4. How do I reduce the KB size of a photo?
You can do it easily by uploading a picture on any picture-compressing website. You can choose the extent of compression as well. This way, you can reduce the size of an image quickly for anything you want.
5. How do I reduce the size of a JPEG to email?
- First, choose the picture you want to compress.
- In the format tab, choose ‘compress pictures’ from the adjust option.
- You can also choose the amount of compression needed.
- And there you go, your compressed picture is ready to be emailed.
So, now you know all the websites, in-built tools, and mobile apps that allow you to compress your images on the go. Resizing the images is a simple task but if you don’t do it right, it might take hours to get it done. Therefore, save this article for later and use it whenever you want to and save a lot of time.