Most people use their laptops to play different media types including audio and videos. When it comes to Windows, hundreds of media players let you play all sorts of videos on the go, but not all are efficient and affordable.
In this article, you will get to know about the best and most free media players for Windows’ latest versions.
Top 10 free media players for Windows to try today
Here is a list of the best media players out there in the market. They are free of cost and play all sorts of media files on the go. Therefore, try them today and make your life so much better.
1. VLC Media Player
VLC Media player is undoubtedly one of the oldest and most popular media players out there. It is versatile, free of cost, and runs without ads.
It is a powerful option for you if you have to consistently play media, be it audio or video, on your laptop.
It supports a wide range of formats including DVDs, CDs, MP3, MP4, MKV, AVI, etc.
All you need to do is download and install it and you’re good to go.
- It supports files not only from your device but the internet, external devices, webcams, discs, etc.
- Supports fast GPU playback.
- Also available on Mac, Windows, Android, and Linux.
PotPlayer is a South Korean media player that has become an amazing alternative to the VLC media player. However, it is slightly underrated around the world, probably because it was released in recent years.
It offers smooth file playback, just like the VLC media player, even for larger files.
It also lets you customize the playback according to your liking and offers multiple features.
- The user interface is pretty clean and sorted. It makes navigation easier.
- Supports a range of media formats.
- This is only available for Windows.
- Handles large files without using much RAM.
3. KM Player
KM Player is also one of the only free media players out there. It is compatible with Windows 10 and 11 and offers playback of formats like 3D, UHD, 4K, and more.
The only drawback of KM Player is the popup ads they feature when you open a new file. You can cancel it or skip the ad. Other than that, it is a pretty decent media player that will solve all your problems.
It was first launched in 2002 and was later acquired by a Korean company in 2007.
- You can customize the playback as per your requirement and look for dubbed version and subtitles within the player.
- Offer KMP connect addon that lets you do a lot of things.
- Customizable media arrangement.
4. Media Player Classic
Media Player Classic is a great free media player for Windows 10. It is not that must in size and offers a robust media play option.
This is open-source, which means you can get it for free and customize it according to your need.
You can also customize other things like its logo, color correction, video format, etc., as per your requirement. It can also be launched via the Windows Command Prompt.
- The software can be installed easily and is super lightweight.
- You can add your creativity and transform the media player according to your need.
It was formerly called XBMC and is quite similar to Media Player Classic. It is great for people who want to go the extra mile and customize things according to their taste. Kodi is somewhat like Windows Media Center in appearance.
If you want to play your files on a projector, Kodi is a great option for that. It also offers robust privacy protection.
With Kodi, you can play all sorts of things like documentaries, podcasts, movies, news, etc.
You should go for Kodi if you are looking for a free customizable media player as it is open-source software.
6. DivX Player
DivX player has been recently launched and is among the top free media players for Windows 10 in 2022. The media player offers playback of files in popular formats including MP4, MKV, AVI, and more. You can also play 4K videos on DivX.
Another great thing about DivX is the trick play feature that lets you skip to your favorite scenes and play music and videos altogether.
- Compact features including trick play.
- Awesome DLNA streaming.
- Supported by Windows 11,10, 8.1, 7, XP, etc.
7. GOM Media player
GOM Media Player is not your classic video player. It does come with all the necessary features like supporting a wide range of file formats and fast playback. On top of that, it also comes with advanced features including speed control, A-B repeat, audiovisual effects, screen capture, screen recording, etc.
- It might be possible that GOM Player won’t support some older media file types.
- It has an inbuilt codec and subtitle finder.
- Clean interface.
If you want a simple media player that lets you play your files without installing other plugins, 5KPlayer is the right option for you.
It is compatible with file types including MOV, MP4, AAC, MP3, AVI, etc.
- It also lets you download videos from multiple websites.
- It comes with a built-in AirPlay feature.
Plex not only plays your media, but it also arranges them perfectly. This is a great option if you have a large collection of audio and video files on your computer.
It also comes in the form of a mobile app.
- It manages the Metadata as well
- Supports most of the popular formats
- Manages your media better than you.
10. Windows Media Player
Last but not the least, the Windows Media player has to be on this list as it is the classic and simplest option for you. It often comes pre-installed on the device.
In the Windows 11 update, Microsoft has included it again and you can play both audio and video here.
The features it offers might not be as diverse as VLC Media Player or Kodi, but it is workable and easy to use.
1. What is the best free media player for Windows?
Here are some of the best free media players for Windows-
- VLC media player
- Media player classic
- GOM player
- PotPlayer, and more.
2. Which is the best free video player for Windows 10?
Here are some of the best free video players for Windows 10-
- GOM Player
- KM Player
- VLC Media Player, etc.
3. Is there a better free media player than VLC?
It depends on what you want from a media player. VLC is indeed a better and one of the most popular media players out there for a good reason. It plays most formats and the quality is also great.
If you are looking for alternatives, you can consider other free media players like DivX, KM Player, etc.
4. Is Windows Media Player 10 free?
Yes, Windows Media Player 10 is free. You can use it to play audio and video files. It supports HD videos and great sound quality.
5. Is VLC a good media player?
VLC is amazing for its versatility. It offers amazing support to all sorts of audio and video formats. There are zero ads and it is absolutely free. Hence, it is a good media player.